Tuesday, October 29, 2013

October 28-Make-Ahead Meal #1: Broccoli Chicken Divan

Kristin's new mission: To become the master of make-ahead meals

Along with my awesome new kitchen, I've also gained a longer commute to work. Although I have less time in the evenings than usual, I am determined not to let this hinder me from dishing up delicious dinners throughout the week.

In a world of Pinterest-enthusiasts, bloggers, and online recipe databases, there exists a surplus of simple recipes that you can prepare in advance, freeze for later, and cook at your convenience.

To kickoff this new endeavor, I turned to a classic favorite. I originally posted this recipe for Broccoli Chicken Divan earlier this year and discovered that it works great as a make-ahead option.

Make-Ahead Meal #1
Sunday night: Prepare recipe as directed and cover. Since I was planning to bake this particular recipe the following evening, I simply sealed the dish and placed it in the refrigerator. If cooking at a later date, you could seal the dish and freeze it for the week.

Tip: Place a sticky note on the prepared recipe to remind yourself (or helpful husbands!) of your next steps, without having to refer to the cookbook.

Monday night: Bake recipe according to directions. If you are using a casserole dish, I recommend placing the entire thing into the oven before preheating so that the dish does not crack. Adjust cooking time if needed. Prepare sides (in this case, brown rice) and enjoy!

Help wanted!
Know of any great make-ahead meals? Let me know some of your favorites! I'd love to try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment