Tuesday, December 23, 2014

December 22-Crockpot Cashew Chicken

I'll be the first to admit, I've slacked off on finding new recipes over the last few months. Between work, the holidays, family gatherings, and day-to-day routine, it was easiest to stick with our tried and true favorites. I still cook at least 2-3 times a week, but I've fallen into a routine of cooking the same 15 favorites over and over and over and...

This week I was inspired to try something new.  I usually crave Chinese food around the holidays (why is that?) and found this recipe for Cashew Chicken on Sally Cooks. It looked tasty and simple enough, so I gave it a shot. It was great!


Crockpot Cashew Chicken
1.5-2lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces
1 bag frozen broccoli
1 cup carrots, sliced
1/2 cup unsalted cashews (We really like nuts, so I put in a whole cup)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp ginger paste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup water or chicken broth

1. Layer chicken and vegetables in the crockpot. 
2. Combine remaining ingredients, except water and cashews, and pour over chicken and vegetables in crockpot. 
3. Add water or broth if necessary so mixture is almost completely covered. 
4. Cook for about 6-7 hours on low. Add nuts when there is about an hour left. (I added the nuts from the beginning and there were completely cooked through and soft. I'd suggest adding them later if you like the crunch.)
5. Enjoy over rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment