Saturday, February 9, 2013

February 9-Paleasagna

This recipe is incredible! 

When I first joined Pinterest, this is one of the first recipes I collected (Original by What Runs Lori).
 It had sat on my "Cooking Inspiration" board for a few months before I rediscovered it this week. 
It looked both healthy and delicious so I thought I'd give it a try. 

I am so impressed with how great it turned out! The yogurt/egg mixture made the dish for me (Although the seasoning of the meat was definitely a close second). It bakes together so well and adds a dash of comfort. So good!

It is a spinoff of classic lasagna, but higher in protein, packed full of veggies, and without any noodles. 
(The true test will be when my carb-lovin' honey comes home from work and heats up the leftovers.)


Paleasagna
1 white onion, diced
1lb lean ground turkey
1 15oz can diced tomatoes (drain excess juice)
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp Italian spice blend (I made my own with oregano, thyme, rosemary, and basil)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1lb zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut into medallion rounds
1/2 cup raw goat cheese, shredded (I had a TON of leftover mozzarella that needed to be eaten, so I substituted)
2 cups Greek yogurt
1 head broccoli, roughly chopped
1 egg


1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add the diced onions. Sauté on med-high heat until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add turkey, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. Continue to cook all ingredients until the turkey is cooked through. Set aside when done. 

2. In a medium bowl, combine cheese, yogurt, egg, and broccoli pieces. Mix well. 

3. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease the bottom of a 13 x 9 glass baking dish. Place a layer of zucchini and squash rounds evenly across the bottom, making a sort of liner. Add a layer of turkey-tomatoe sauce on top of the zucchini. Top that with some of the broccoli and yogurt mixture. Continue the layering process until you have used all of your ingredients. Top with more cheese if desired. Bake 45-60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. 

1 comment: