Tuesday, April 8, 2014

April 8-Orange Chicken

Everyone loves orange chicken. When I found this recipe for a healthified, yet yummy, Orange Chicken on Gimme Some Oven I had to try it! It was quick, easy, and did a great job satisfying those takeout cravings. 
(I made a few slight tweaks to match the ingredients I had on hand.) 


Skinny Orange Chicken
2lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
orange chicken sauce (see below)
toasted sesame seeds
thinly-sliced green onions

Orange Chicken Sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tbsp cornstarch (I ran out of cornstarch and substituted flour)
1/2tsp ground ginger
pinch of red pepper flakes

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until chicken is browned and nearly cooked through, about 4-6 minutes. 
2. Meanwhile, whisk together orange chicken sauce ingredients. 
3. Pour orange chicken sauce into the skillet and stir to combine. Let the sauce come to a boil for a few minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. (I forgot that I had bought green onions until I was washing the dishes. Oops!)

No comments:

Post a Comment