Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December 25- Chicken Enchiladas

I grew up in a family full of tradition, especially during the holidays. This year my mom decided to switch the traditional Christmas menu of ham, green bean casserole, potato salad, mashed potatoes, etc. for tacos, carne asada, rice, beans, tortillas, and homemade salsa. She asked if I could bring enchiladas and I agreed. I had never made them before, but I remembered eating them at my husband's Auntie Millie's house and they had been amazing! I called her up and she graciously gave me her recipe. They were delicious and everyone loved them!


The new menu have been a big change for this traditional bunch, but it was definitely a hit! At the end of the meal, we began discussing what next year's theme should be.
(So far Italian cuisine is winning with the most votes.)



Millie's Chicken Enchiladas
(From the kitchen of Auntie Millie)
Whole chicken, shredded (either boil one or buy a rotisserie)
Las Palmas Enchilada sauce (Red or green; If using green sauce, add a can of diced green chiles.)


Corn tortillas (I used about 15)
Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 onion, diced
Olives, sliced


1. Preheat oven to 350. Heat enchilada sauce in a saucepan and heat cooking oil in a frying pan. 
2. Fry 2 tortillas at a time, just enough so they are a little crunchy. Dip tortillas in the sauce and place them in a shallow baking pan (such as a cake pan). 
3. Fill each tortilla with a roll in the center of chicken, cheese, onion, olives and a little sauce. Roll it like a burrito, leaving the ends open. Continue to fill baking pan with enchiladas. 
4. Add sauce over the top of enchiladas, followed by cheese and olives. Bake about 45 minutes to an hour until the tortillas are crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment