Wednesday, September 19, 2012

September 19-A Lesson in Spaghetti Squash

I've heard that spaghetti squash is a delicious, healthy, low-carb alternative to noodles and I've been wanting to try it for a while. My hubby wasn't too keen on the idea, and was out for the evening, so I thought tonight would be the perfect chance to try it out. I figured I had nothing to lose. If I experienced an epic fail I'd heat up a Hot Pocket. 

It proved to be a good lesson. I think that next time it will turn out much better. It was edible and the sauce made it tasty, but the "noodles" probably weren't cooked as long as they should have been. 

Spaghetti squash can be baked, boiled, or microwaved. I decided to bake mine. Recommended baking time is 30-45 minutes on 375. The rine was soft after 35 minutes so I scraped the "noodles" out then. It really felt done, but I think it could've used the extra 10 minutes. I'll get it next time! 

How to bake Spaghetti Squash
1. Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds and pulp.
2. Lay in a baking dish and lay squash cut-side down in 1/2inch water.
3. Bake on 375 for 30-45 minutes.
4. Carefully remove squash and use a fork to scrape the flesh from the rind. The cooked flesh will fall apart like spaghetti noodles.
5. Serve however you like it! Use the squash in any recipe you would use noodles for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment