Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19-Three Bean Soup

While visiting my grandma over Mother's Day weekend, I my mom noticed this recipe in the American Profile insert in the Saturday newspaper. Knowing how much I love soup and my vegetarian-ish preferences, she pointed out this reader-submitted recipe to me. The 90 degree heat wave outside may not have screamed "soup-weather", but I figured the soup would be light enough for a summer supper. Yum! Thanks grandma for letting me cut up your newspaper!
 (And Bobbie Miles of Tennessee for the submission-Whoever and wherever you are, we thank you!)
Three Bean Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper chopped (The produce section was low on yellow today, so I swapped this for a red bell pepper)
3 14.5oz cans chicken broth
1 10oz can tomatoes with green chiles
2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 15 oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot, add onion and peppers. Cook until softened.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients and cook until heated through. 

Rookie Confession: I didn't realize that the recipe called for three cans of broth until I was typing the recipe. I only used one...Still tasted great, just thicker consistency. Oops. Oh well...I like my soups more chili-like anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment