Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20-Chicken Tamale Pie

Pinterest makes me hungry. I spend the most time on the Food and Drink boards, gaining inspiration and looking for new recipes to try. While administering the ACT exam to a group of students, I was browsing through a few of these photos and I realized that it was probably not the best way to spend my time while the 30 of us were locked in a room for four hours. My growling stomach could have surely been a distraction. If only there was an oven nearby...I would've cooked for everyone.

I came across this delicious dish (Original Recipe by Lindsay at Pinch of Yum)
and immediately knew it was something that would please both my husband and I. It seemed simple enough so I thought I'd give it a shot. Yum.
Chicken Tamale Pie
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup egg substitue
1.5 tbsp taco seasoning, separated
1/4 tsp ground red paper
8.5oz box corn muffin mix
14.75 oz cream-style corn
4oz green chiles, drained
10oz can red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
3/4 cup shredded cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients (only use 1/2 tbsp of the taco seasoning) and stir until moist. Pour mixture into a pie plate or casserole dish, with cooking spray. Bake 20-30 minutes. (Mine was done about 18 minutes in...it's best to just keep an eye on it about 15 minutes in, depending on your oven.)
3. Toss chicken in remaining 1 tbsp taco seasoning.
4. When corn mixture is done (should still be soft), pierce entire surface liberally with a fork. May stick to fork a little. Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
5. Serve and enjoy (Top with cilantro if desired). 

No comments:

Post a Comment