Monday, May 28, 2012

May 28- Homemade Pizza

Happy Memorial Day! Today is a special day for several reasons. Reason number one, it is a great opportunity to give thanks for the men and women who have fought to defend our country. Reason number two, I spent a relaxing day off grocery shopping, hitting the gym, organizing the home, watching morning television, cooking...ahhhh. Reason numero tres, pizza success. 

Chris had been craving pizza and suggested that we have homemade pizza for dinner. Immediately I was inspired to go all out and make this thing from scratch. I feel that today marked a momentous occasion as I rose from Hopeless Rookie to Novice Chef. After looking through countless pizza dough recipes I decided to be brave and try my own. As long as I followed the measurements for the water, yeast, and flour, what could go wrong? Call it a minuscule achievement, but I am proud to have mastered my own little pizza crust.

Of course, the real test would come when my husband and I took the first bite.
"Any suggestions or constructive feedback?" I asked, after he took the first bite.
He swallowed, smiled, and said, "Nope. It's good!" and took another bite.
We will definitely be having this again. 

Kristin's Pizza w/Homemade Crust
One 1/4 oz package of yeast
1 cup hot water
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp parsley flakes

1. Combine yeast and water. Stir until dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
2. Let sit at least 5 minutes. I used this time to prep my toppings.
3. Ross out to desired size and shape.
4. Add tomato sauce. Sprinkle dried onion and crushed red pepper flakes as desired.
5. Top with cheese and favorite toppings.
6. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.


Pizza Toppings as Shown
Spinach
Olives
Pineapple
Sun-dried Tomatoes
Pepperoni
Other Suggestions:
Bell Pepper
Chicken
Onion
Sausage

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment