Friday, August 23, 2013

August 23- Bean and Chicken Sausage Stew

I had no intentions of cooking tonight. As much as I love the kitchen, this week called for a night of vegging at home with a box of Thai takeout, watching TLC specials. 

My plans changed when I found this easy recipe in Real Simple's "Quick and Easy Meals" mini cookbook. The directions promised that it would only take 15 minutes to prep and cook...I figured it couldn't get any easier than that. 

Let's be real. I'd much rather cook that eat out anyway (Seriously. My hubby will vouch for me.).

I am in love with this stew recipe! I usually don't like sausage (something about the texture I think) but this sure hit the spot. This is not the last time I'll be making this!



Bean and Chicken Sausage Stew
Recipe by Real Simple
1 tbsp olive oil
1 13oz package chicken sausage links (fully cooked) thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 19oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinse
1 14.5oz can low-sodium chicken broth
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1 bunch kale
Kosher salt and pepper
Crusty bread (optional). I served this stew with Nabisco Triscuit crackers.

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, without turning, until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn, add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more.
2. Add the beans, both, and tomatoes and their liquid. Bring to a simmer and cook over medium-high heat.
3. Meanwhile, cut out the tough stems and center ribs from the kale leaves and discard. Tear the leaves into large pieces. Add the kale to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
4. Season with 1/4tsp each salt and pepper.
5. Serve with bread (or crackers) if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment