Whenever I need inspiration, I turn to Pinterest. This week while contemplating what to make for dinner, I found this recipe by The Clever Carrot.
The flavor in this dish is phenomenal! I savored every bite. Thanks for the inspiration!
Mediterranean Baked Chicken
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 14oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, reserving 2-3 tbsp of marinade for later
4 sprigs of fresh oregano, leaves stripped (I used dried oregano)
2 small red onions, thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, left whole
1 14oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
1 small tub marinated bocconcini (I couldn't find bocconcini at my local supermarket, so I substituted this for 6oz fresh mozzarella cheese)
salt & pepper
basil & parsley
1. Drain the artichoke hearts, reserving about 2-3 tbsp juice in a small bowl or gallon ziplock bag. Set artichokes aside. In the bowl, combine garlic and oregano leaves. Cut chicken into 1 1/2 inch strips and add to the marinade. Mix well to coat. The original recipe suggests marinating the chicken for 1 hour minimum, 3 hours maximum. My chicken marinated all day while I was at work and it still turned out great.
2. Preheat oven to 400. In a large roasting pan, add sliced onions and tomatoes. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until onions are soft and tomatoes begin to burst, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 tsp of olive oil over moderate heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, working in batches. The chicken will be a little undercooked.
4. Remove the roasting pan from the oven. The onions should be somewhat soft. If not, bake additional 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken, artichoke hearts, beans, and olives to the pan. Roast about 5-7 minutes or until chicken is done.
6. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with basil, parsley, and cheese.