Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February 14- Santa Fe Chicken Over Rice

One of my favorite new toys is my slow cooker. It is so easy to prepare a meal the night before, flip the switch on the way out the door, and come home to a mouthwatering meal. This week I tried Santa Fe Chicken (original recipe found via Pinterest...What can I say?). Compared to the photo from the original recipe, mine looked more like a stew. I followed the recipe and carefully measured, but mine seemed to have more broth. (It's probably because the rice soaks up the juice and I didn't serve mine with a lot of rice.)
Either way, it turned out great! 
Santa Fe Chicken
1.5 lbs chicken breast
15 oz can black beans
14.5 oz diced tomatoes with chiles
14.5oz chicken broth
8 oz frozen corn
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tsp cayenne (to taste)
1 tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
Combine all ingredients (except chicken) in slow cooker. Salt chicken and lay on top. Cook low 10 hours or on high 6 hours. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken, shred, and return to cooker. 
Serve over rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment