Saturday, June 30, 2012

June 30- Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers

A friend recently mentioned making stuffed peppers, and raved about how easy and delicious they were. I'd been wanted to try stuffed bell peppers for a while and was inspired to give it a shot. 


Turkey Stuffed Peppers
4 large peppers
1 lb ground turkey 

1 cup cooked brown rice

1 onion, chopped
1 15oz can tomato sauce, divided
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
garlic power (as desired)

1. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Place in a large sauce pan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Drain and place peppers in ice water. Remove from water and place on paper towel to dry.
2. In a skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until there is no more pink. Drain any excess grease and remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup tomato sauce, rice, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. Place in a baking dish. Drizzle with remaining tomato sauce. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
4. Serve. I discovered that they tasted pretty good with ketchup!



When I made these, I used 1.5lb of meat simply because I had that much leftover from a 3 lb package I had bought earlier this week. I had bought a large package of bell peppers, but not all of them were very good. To improvise, I took the good pieces of the flawed pepper (along with parts from the tops of the good ones) and chopped them into small pieces. I scattered them across the bottom of a small baking pan and topped them with the remaining filling and tomato sauce, and baked this concoction alongside the peppers. It turned out good and is a great improvisation if you have too much filling. (My hubby prefers the filling over the bell pepper shell, so this was actually a blessing in disguise!)

No comments:

Post a Comment